Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Book Review - "The Rough Adviser to Romania"

Book Review - "The Rough Adviser to Romania" - When I was searching for a guidebook for Romania I had three options: National Geographic Traveler: Romania, Lonely Planet's Romania & Moldova, and The Rough Adviser to Romania.
The National Geographic adviser got accept reviews, humans either admired or hated Lonely Planet, and so I chose Rough Guide, which got abstinent to acceptable reviews, but had a few that mentioned it had a acceptable area on Bucharest, which was my biking destination. I had never purchased a Rough Adviser and had never been to Romania, so I had no abstraction what to apprehend or even what to attending for, and I badly bare some array of administration on what to see and do in Bucharest and the surrounding areas.
The added reviews were appropriate if they mentioned that a lot of the focus was on Bucharest. The blow of Romania was covered actual broadly. Most of the maps in the book are for Bucharest. The maps themselves are simple to apprehend and fabricated it simple to acquisition my way through a actual ample and circuitous city. I had about three canicule in the basic city, and the book did accommodate acumen and history.


I candidly didn't do abundant with the blow of the book, though. Because I had a day cruise planned out to Poienari Alcazar (Dracula's absolute castle), I thumbed through the sections on Transylvania and some of the added above cities. These sections accept a lot of history about the 1989 revolution.
The Rough Adviser to Romania formed appealing able-bodied for me on my cruise this September. I begin its recommendations for museums and credibility of absorption actual good, and if I did get absent in Bucharest it was due to the abridgement of artery signs, not the map in the guidebook. The book's advocacy of demography taxis and the accepted prices was authentic and acutely helpful, and the tips on accepting about and what to see were appealing spot-on for my biking style.
The alone complaint I did accept is that its restaurant recommendations and auberge advice larboard a lot to be researched either advanced or by abnormality around. The auberge I backward at was listed in the book, and I begin it nice if not charming, but the restaurant amount ranges were absolutely geared to the ultra account traveler.
There isn't abundant on the bazaar in agreement of guidebooks for Romania. It is still actual abundant a country in transition, with a ample sprawling city-limits for its capital. The Rough Adviser to Romania formed actual able-bodied for what I wanted, which was some history, acceptable maps, and acumen on how to get around. I anticipate these guides are geared against backpackers, so if you're accommodating to plan your own sightseeing and are searching to be as thrifty as accessible this is absolutely your best bet.




find more at National Geographic Traveler

No comments:

Post a Comment